9.20.2004

Driving While Black

Recently in our fair city, a black man had a case against him dropped. He was charged with cocaine possession with intent to traffic (over $1million worth of cocaine was seized from his car).

His lawyer argued that his client was stopped only because he was a black man driving a fancy car (this fact was proven in court)
Another factor in him being acquited was the fact that the police lied in their statements concerning the case.

I have several concerns about this case.
Firstly, I am very concerned about the police stopping anyone just because of the their skin colour, choice of car or just looking guilty.
I personally never felt that way, every time I have been stopped by the police it was for a valid traffic violation.

However, I have a friend who was.
Secondly, as a law abiding citizen I am also concerned about the increase of drugs and gun related crime in the city.
I firmly believe that the police must to do everything they can (within the law) to fix this problem.
I do believe 99% of the police force is honest, hard working, and want to do the best job possible.

But it is the 1% that makes it hard for us to trust.


No comments: